1. Social structure is the basic concept for the proper understanding of
2. The term ‘Sociology’ was for the first time coined by Auguste Comte in the year
3.. “Society is the web of social relationship.” Who has given this definition?
4. “Man is a social animal.” Who has said this?
5. Who among the following has compared society with organism?
6. The word ‘Sociology’ is derived from which of the following two words?
A. Latin and Greek
B. Latin and American
C. Latin and Russian
D. Latin and English
7. Who classified the groups into Primary Group and Secondary group?
8. Who among the following authored “Human Society”?
D. K. Davis
9. The word ‘caste’ has been derived from which language?
10. The number of ‘Purusharthas’ is
11. Which among the following is the prime objective of Hindu marriage?
B. Physical pleasure
C. Group formation
D. Promote Dharma
12. The number of ‘Varnas’ is
13. In kinship, the bond of blood is called
A. Primary kin
B. Secondary kin
C. consanguineous kin
D. Affinal Kin
14. The word ‘family’ has been derived from
A. Greek word ‘Familiarte’
B. Roman word ‘Famulus’
C. Latin word ‘Familine’
D. None of the above.
15. Which State has highest literacy rate in India?
16. As per roll census, the sex-ratio of Himachal Pradesh is
17. Himachal Pradesh came into existence on
A. 26th January, 1950
B. 15th August, 1947
C. 15th April, 1948
D. 25th January, 1971
18. Being a student of Sociology, one should become
D. Objective enquirer
19. Socialization process takes place in human being
A. During childhood
B. During young age
C. During adulthood
D. During whole life-time
20. The concept of “Looking-glass self” has been given by
21. In India, which of the following sphere of the village community has not changed much?
A. Joint family system
B. Jajmani system
C. marriage system
D. Caste system
22. The main feature of traditional Jajmani system is exchange of
C. Goods and services
23. Who made distinction between In-group and Out-group?
24. Which one of the following is not a part of social processes?
25. What is the marriage of a widow to her deceased husband’s brother termed as?
D. Widow remarriage
26. When a whole way of life is in the process of change under the influence of another culture, what is it called?
27. Marriage of a woman with a man of a higher social stratum is known as
28. What is the phenomenon of alienation in capitalist society due to ?
A. Class conflict
B. Labour market conditions
C. Capacity to produce surplus value
D. Separation of workers from the means of production
29. What is the spread of cultural traits from one society to another commonly called?
30. Which one of the following tribes initiated the Jharkhand movement?
31. Which one of the following was a peasant movement?
A. Khilafat movement
B. Freedom struggle movement
C. Telengana movement
D. Women liberation movement
32. What is a Hindu marriage in which the daughter is gifted to priest, called?
A. Brahma marriage
B. Daiva marriage
C. Asura marriage
D. Rakshasa marriage
33. Which one of the following is not the characteristic of a primary group?
B. Physical proximity
C. Face to face relationship
D. Impersonal relationship
34. Status over which the individual has absolutely no choice is called
A. Ascribed status
B. Achieved status
C. Moral status
D. Master status
35. A peaceful co-existence of distinct ethnic group in a society is called
D. Cultural pluralism
36. A pattern of behaviour organized around specific rights and duties that are associated with a particular social position is called
37. The habitual way of doing things by the people in a society is called
38. The behaviour that departs significantly from the norms and values of the society is called
D. Social behaviour
39. The tendency to see one’s own ideas, beliefs and practices superior to others is called
40. The typological cluster of which of the following societies is most appropriate for India’s plural society?
A. Primitive, pre-industrial and industrial
B. Agrarian, tribal and industrial
C. Pre-modern, modern and post-modern
D. Medieval, industrial and post-industrial
41. Most o f the peasant movements addressed to which problem?
A. Land redistribution
B. Land grabbing
C. Abolition of zamindari and jagirdari
D. All of the above.
42. Rural society is a
A. Primitive society
B. Complex society
C. Heterogeneous society
D. Homogeneous society
43. Which of the following is not a characteristic of the community?
A. Group of people
C. Common locality
D. Community sentiment
44. Which one of the following is the characteristic of Joint family?
B. Limited sire
C. Productive unit
D. None of the above.
45. Who gave the ‘Law of three stages’ of the classification of the society?
46. The ‘Bourgeoisie’ type of society was expounded by
47. The Concept of ‘Hierarchy’ in the context of the caste stratification has been given by
48. The custom of indentifying a father through one of his children is known as
49. Spencer has classified types of societies from the simplest to the complex according to their degree of
B. Social bond
D. All of the above.
50. The marriage system in which one husband marries with many women is called